Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 10: Something You're Afraid Of

One of my biggest fears has to do with driving.... mostly driving on the highway and in places I'm not familiar with... which is everywhere besides Missoula and Clinton. I know of multiple reasons that caused this fear. I remember that all throughout my childhood I hated semi trucks and still do. I would have dreams night after night about the trailer of a semi falling over on the car I was riding in. Weird I know. Also, my dad is a big fan of the outdoors and we drove up in the mountains a lot and I remember pretending to be asleep on these drives so I didn't have to look out the window which only unveiled the cliff off that side of the road. I also experienced many other things... hydroplaning, hitting a deer and many slips and slides in the snow and ice... My fear of driving only continued as I got my drivers license and totaled my first car in a freak accident coming home from work late one night on the highway. I was on my way home when I noticed a car off to the right of the road with it's four way flashers on and so I way going to get over into the passing lane.... looked over my shoulder to make sure no one was there and hit a car that was conveniently parked in the passing lane on the highway....I was going 65... I didn't get injured which was amazing. Then my next car I also totaled when I lost control going over an icy bridge on the highway causing me to slam into a guard rail which spun me across the road into the median which I then turned and went back out of the median and across the road... finally stopping.. or so I thought until my car started going over the hill... at that point I jumped out and the car ran into a fence at the bottom of the hill. So there you have it.. probably my biggest fear... I basically drive like a grandma now..... my average speed for the highway in the winter is 45... not even joking!

1 comment: